Clinical immunology and allergy physicians care for patients with a diverse range of disorders of the immune system. These fall into three major categories: allergic disorders, immune deficiency disorders and autoimmune diseases.
|Paediatric immunology and allergy|
|The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)|
|Clinical immunology and allergy physicians care for patients with a diverse range of disorders of the immune system. These fall into three major categories: allergic disorders, immune deficiency disorders and autoimmune diseases.|
|4 (AM); 2 (PCH)|
|3 years Basic Training + 3 years Advanced Training|
|40 (AM); 27 (PCH)|
|Entry requirements for Advanced Training in Immunology and allergy through RACP:
- Completion of RACP Basic Physician Training, including the RACP Written and Clinical Examinations
- Current Medical registration
- Appointment to an appropriate Advanced Training position
|Entry requirements for RACP Basic Training:
- Complete a medical degree accredited by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) or Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ);
- Have a general medical registration with the Medical Board of Australia, or a medical registration with a general scope of practice with the MCNZ if applying in New Zealand;
- Have satisfactorily completed at least one intern year (post graduate year one); Be employed by an accredited training hospital or health services (where you will do your Basic Training);
- Discuss your application and receive approval to apply for Basic Training from the hospital (or network) Director of Physician Education (DPE)*. Approval of the DPE is subject to selection processes, training capacity and/or performance of the prospective trainee.
For more details visit: college website.
|For information on how to apply see college website.
NB: Registration with the RACP does not mean that you are automatically on a training network and you should refer to the state-based websites regarding employment.
|Basic training written exam: $1,820
Basic training clinical exam: $2,723
Advanced training For more information visit https://www.racp.edu.au/become-a-physician/membership-fees
|$4,543 basic training + advanced training (enquire with RACP)|
|Time-based requirements - Training time and rotations
Purpose: To ensure adequate time for trainees to gain necessary learning experiences across a range of relevant rotations.
Total training time: 3 years (36 months) (FTE)
• 24 months core training
• 12 months non-core training
A minimum of 24 months (FTE) must be spent in accredited clinical training positions under the supervision of a Fellow of the College.
A maximum of 12 months of non-core training may be undertaken in clinical training in other disciplines, or in research. Trainees are allowed considerable flexibility in their selection of noncore training. This may be in Australia or overseas and may involve clinical work and/or research in an area related to immunology or another relevant area of medical practice. In New Zealand, the overseeing committee will prospectively approve, on a case-by-case basis, only those rotations that are closely related to immunology and allergy.
Training time in Australia/New Zealand
At least 12 months of Advanced Training in Clinical Immunology and Allergy must be undertaken in Australia and/or New Zealand.
Advanced Life Support (Paediatrics) course or equivalent (for New Zealand Paediatrics & Child Health trainees only)
Developmental and Psychosocial Training (This is a requirement for Paediatrics & Child Health trainees only.)
|Applications to commence training close in January (or August for mid-year applications).|
NB: Salary figures, working hours, undersubscribed and oversubscribed can vary greatly depending on various factors including but not limited to geographic location, private or public practice. MedVersus provides an Australia wide overview. For information specific to your needs we encourage you to discuss further with the relevant colleges/associations. For feedback/information to keep the site up to date please contact us by email: email@example.com