Opthamologists assess, treat and prescribe preventative care for the eyes. Specialists may also perform eye surgery.
|The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO)|
|Opthamologists assess, treat and prescribe preventative care for the eyes. Specialists may also perform eye surgery.|
|$3,370 per training year|
|Applicants must have:
- A medical degree with full registration to practise medicine in either Australia or New Zealand at the time of applying
- Citizenship or permanent resident status of Australia or New Zealand at the time of application
- Completed a minimum of two years (including the intern year) postgraduate prevocational experience at the commencement of ophthalmology training. The requirements are that the trainee should have broad experience across a range of non-ophthalmic medical, surgical and clinical settings with a minimum of 21 months in such posts.
|Fellowship of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)|
|Applicants need to apply through the RANZCO website.|
|Clinical Ophalmic Pharmacology and Emergency Medicine (COPEM) module 1: $280
COPEM module 2: $280
Ophthalmic Basic Competencies and Knowledge (OBCK): $1,065
Ophthalmic pathology: $790
RANZCO advanced clinical examination (RACE) clinical: $1,630
RACE written: $450
|The vocational training program takes five years to complete. The program comprises:
- Basic training: Two years of basic training during which trainees must demonstrate integrated clinical skills and knowledge in the ophthalmic sciences (OS) and the ophthalmic basic competencies and knowledge (OBCK).
- Advanced training: Two years of advanced training during which trainees are expected to demonstrate integrated knowledge and clinical and surgical skills as documented in the clinical standards.
- Final year training: A final year during which the trainee develops their specialist experience in preparation for specialist qualification and to function in the community as an independent general ophthalmologist.
|Applications open in March.|
NB: Salary figures, working hours, undersubscribed and oversubscribed can vary greatly depending on various factors including but not limited to geographic location, private or public practice. MedVersus provides an Australia wide overview. For information specific to your needs we encourage you to discuss further with the relevant colleges/associations. For feedback/information to keep the site up to date please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org