Opthamologists assess, treat and prescribe preventative care for the eyes. Specialists may also perform eye surgery.
Back to compare
|The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO)|
|Opthamologists assess, treat and prescribe preventative care for the eyes. Specialists may also perform eye surgery.|
|$3,370 per training year|
|Applicants must have:
- A medical degree with full registration to practise medicine in either Australia or New Zealand at the time of applying
- Citizenship or permanent resident status of Australia or New Zealand at the time of application
- Completed a minimum of two years (including the intern year) postgraduate prevocational experience at the commencement of ophthalmology training. The requirements are that the trainee should have broad experience across a range of non-ophthalmic medical, surgical and clinical settings with a minimum of 21 months in such posts.
|Fellowship of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)|
|Applicants need to apply through the RANZCO website.|
|Clinical Ophalmic Pharmacology and Emergency Medicine (COPEM) module 1: $280
COPEM module 2: $280
Ophthalmic Basic Competencies and Knowledge (OBCK): $1,065
Ophthalmic pathology: $790
RANZCO advanced clinical examination (RACE) clinical: $1,630
RACE written: $450
|The vocational training program takes five years to complete. The program comprises:
- Basic training: Two years of basic training during which trainees must demonstrate integrated clinical skills and knowledge in the ophthalmic sciences (OS) and the ophthalmic basic competencies and knowledge (OBCK).
- Advanced training: Two years of advanced training during which trainees are expected to demonstrate integrated knowledge and clinical and surgical skills as documented in the clinical standards.
- Final year training: A final year during which the trainee develops their specialist experience in preparation for specialist qualification and to function in the community as an independent general ophthalmologist.
|Applications open in March.|