General physicians (or specialists in internal medicine) have expertise in the diagnosis and management of complex, chronic and multisystem disorders. This specialty is offered in both adult medicine (AM) and paediatrics and child health (PCH).
|The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)|
|General physicians (or specialists in internal medicine) have expertise in the diagnosis and management of complex, chronic and multisystem disorders. This specialty is offered in both adult medicine (AM) and paediatrics and child health (PCH).|
|3 years Basic Training + 3 years Advanced Training|
|633 (Adult Medicine)|
|Entry requirements for Advanced Training in General Medicine through RACP:
- Completion of RACP Basic Physician Training, including the RACP Written and Clinical Examinations
- Current Medical registration
- Appointment to an appropriate Advanced Training position
|Entry requirements for RACP Basic Training:
- Complete a medical degree accredited by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) or Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ);
- Have a general medical registration with the Medical Board of Australia, or a medical registration with a general scope of practice with the MCNZ if applying in New Zealand;
- Have satisfactorily completed at least one intern year (post graduate year one); Be employed by an accredited training hospital or health services (where you will do your Basic Training);
- Discuss your application and receive approval to apply for Basic Training from the hospital (or network) Director of Physician Education (DPE)*. Approval of the DPE is subject to selection processes, training capacity and/or performance of the prospective trainee.
For more details visit: college website.
|Applications are made online via the college:
NB: Registration with the RACP does not mean that you are automatically on a training network and you should refer to the state-based websites regarding employment.
|$62,500 – $289,655|
|Basic Training (annual): $3,426 x three years
Written examination: $1,820 one year
Clinical examination: $2,723
Advanced training fees (annual): $3,426 x three years. For more information visit href="https://www.racp.edu.au/become-a-physician/membership-fees" target="_blank">https://www.racp.edu.au/become-a-physician/membership-fees
|$4,543 basic training + advanced training (enquire with RACP)|
|By the end of advanced training: 36 months of certified training time consisting of:
- 24 months of core training
- 12 months of non-core training
- Research project requirement:
- 1 research project (for trainees commencing training in 2017 onwards)
- 2 research projects (for trainees who commenced training before 2017)
Other requirements: It is strongly recommended that trainees complete their Advanced Training at more than one training site.
|Applications to commence training close in February (or August for mid-year applications).|
|2 – Advanced training entry after completion of basic training|
NB: Salary figures, working hours, undersubscribed and oversubscribed can vary greatly depending on various factors including but not limited to geographic location, private or public practice. MedVersus provides an Australia wide overview. For information specific to your needs we encourage you to discuss further with the relevant colleges/associations. For feedback/information to keep the site up to date please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org